Things I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older….

Originally posted in 10.06.2006
Things I’ve learned as I’ve gotten older….
1. The importance and power of a heartfelt sincere apology….
"Keepin it real in the 04" put apologies on the back burner. I was way too busy keeping it real to be bothered with saying sorry. But the older I get the more I realize how important it is to recognize when I have fucked up and make amends…
So ….
I'm sorry Eve (for everything).
Sorry Ro.
Sorry to everyone I was ever mean too or that I made feel stupid (I'm an asshole.) I'm sorry to everyone I've ever offended…this happens often.
Sorry to that guy who's phone was blowing up at all hours of the night with guys asking for his girlfriend (that was me…my bad)
Sorry Nick…for things going so wrong and getting so out of hand.
There are more but I can't think of them right now…sorry for that too...

2. The importance of respect… of self and others.
Respect is major. To me at least.. I need to get better at extending respect to others as well.

3. No job is worth your pride or self respect.

Fuck it. Quit that shit. No money is worth degrading yourself as a person or devaluing yourself. I'd rather be dirt broke and be able to look myself in the mirror than rich and ashamed.

4. You'd be amazed what you can live without.

Half the shit you think you need, you don't. Seriously. People are mad resilient and you'd be amazed what you can do without if you had to. If you can't live without something, that thing controls you. Might as well say fuck it; throw off material possessions, vices and attachments. They just stall your evolution.

5. My parents were right about most of the shit they told me, even when I thought otherwise.
* No, I shouldn't have gone to that party… the cops broke it up
* No, I shouldn't have dated him; turns out he was a drug dealer.
* Yes, I was too young to live with someone of the opposite sex.
* No, I wasn't really in love, just infatuated.
* No I didn't mean it when I said I hated you
(oh yeah, sorry for that one)
* No, life isn't fair.
* No I didn't really NEED half the shit I said I did… I merely wanted it and thanks for pointing out the difference…

6. I wasn't always wrong either. Even when I wasn't sure, it still all worked out in the end.

7. Every year, the older I get, the more I learn and the more I am amazed at how little I knew before and how much I still have to learn.
My birthday is January 1st. On New Year's most people reflect on the year past, Wins, losses, lessons learned and what they'd like to improve on in the following years. Same for their birthday's… I do it two fold. New Year's, to me is a very reflective day. I can look back and remember exactly where I was the year before and what I have and have not accomplished. I spend the day alone, secluded thinking of all the things that matter the most to me. I emerge on January 2nd, a more peaceful, focused

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parisienne Mac and Cheese recipe

Shit I'm not here for (That's that shit I don't like)

Tiny Bottles of Wine are Ingenious.